Nowadays, it has become a challenge to find the most suitable weight loss exercises for women that they can do at home. The Internet contains weight loss diet plans and exercises that confuse you when choosing the best one. Finding the best one takes time, often leading to a lack of interest in exercise. But if you are desperate to lose weight at home and are a housewife and a mommy of cute kids, I am here to guide you.
I have described the best exercises for housewives and mommies that they can do while staying at home. With this guide, you can achieve your desired results in your weight loss journey faster. These exercises are the most suitable exercises for women to lose weight. Below-described exercises will shape your body by focusing on each part of the body along with instructions on how to engage your body with these exercises.
But before you involve yourself in a HIIT workout, follow three golden rules described below:
Check your limits:
It takes a lot of effort to burn calories, so you must work hard on your body to make sure you are burning enough calories. This rule applies to everyone. However, if you are a beginner, your daily limits will differ from those who regularly train. First, listen to your body and know your body’s limits. Find a way that works well for you, and it should be moderate.
Hydrate your body:
HIIT (high-intensity interval training) workouts cause a lot of sweating. It means you must keep your body hydrated during and after a workout. There are lots of sports drinks with multivitamins available in the market. You can consume those but avoid sugary ones.
Keep a check on the time:
When you start your weight loss journey, you are motivated and excited about it. You may try to do high-intensity exercises for a long duration. But as a beginner, it may cause injury or muscle pull. So work out for 30 minutes and then stop.
Skipping rope is one of the easiest and best cardio exercises to lose weight at home. Rope jumping is a full-body exercise that focuses on every body part. Skipping engages your core, quads and glutes while involving shoulder and arm actions to improve body coordination and cardiovascular health.
How to do skipping rope?
- Choose the right size rope. It is recommended that you choose a rope that reaches almost up to your shoulders when you fold it in half.
- Hold the rope tightly through its handles to avoid tripping.
- Move your hand and arms a foot away from your body to create a wider arc to jump through it.
- As soon as the rope reaches your feet, jump up to pass the rope under your feet and repeat the process.
What are the physical benefits of jumping rope?
- Rope jumping strengthens your whole body by engaging every part of the body.
- Rope jumping is the best exercise for cardiovascular health.
- Rope jumping involves your feet to develop agility and great footwork.
- Rope jumping needs whole-body coordination as it involves your hands, feet and even eyes to move up and down. In this way, it improves your body’s coordination.
- It is a great exercise to enhance the body’s balance as you must re-establish your balance quickly between each jump.$
You may be thinking about cycling being an at-home exercise because it is outdoors. Unlike traditional cycling, you can do cycling by using a stationary cycle. It is a great exercise for the core and thigh muscles and is suitable for people of all ages and fitness levels.
It is a low-impact exercise and involves fewer chances of injury than other exercises.
What are the Health benefits of cycling?
Cycling is an aerobic activity involving your lungs, heart and blood vessels. You will experience faster breathing, more perspiration, and rising body temperature, which is good for overall health. Here are some noteworthy health benefits of cycling.
- Cycling improves your cardiovascular health.
- Cycling strengthens your bones.
- Cycling burns body fats, and you will lose weight.
- Cycling improves body coordination and posture.
- Cycling decreases depression and anxiety.
Strength training should be important in women’s home lives as it strengthens, builds, and maintains muscle mass. The health benefits of strength training include health, shaping, and toning the body. Strength training greatly impacts your mental health by providing self-esteem and a toned body to boost your mental energy.
Although cardio exercises are also great for the body, strength training should be a part of your exercise routine with other workouts. The more strength training you do, the higher your metabolism will be. This way, you will burn more calories and gain more muscles. It will be great if you mix cardio workouts with strength training, as you will get a higher muscle-to-fat ratio and burn more calories.
What are the health benefits of strength training?
- Strength training can resolve postural issues or safeguard your body against these issues.
- It can help avoid injury by making your core strong.
- It lowers the cholesterol levels in the body.
- It improves body composition by maintaining the muscle-to-fat ratio.
- It helps people facing insomnia and improves their sleep habits.
How to start strength training at home?
As a beginner, you might need clarification about how to start strength training at home and what equipment you need. So let me tell you one thing, for strength training, you don’t need to have tons of fancy equipment. You can buy a basic strength training kit, which includes dumbbells, kettlebells, barbells, and cable. All these are available in the gym, but for ladies working at home, you can buy these and make a small gym in your garden.
Strength training workout for beginners
Here are some weight-lifting exercises for beginners which you can include in your strength training exercise. As a beginner, you can start doing these workouts up to 12 reps each, depending on how much stronger your core is and how much weight you are lifting. Aim for 3 to 5 sets of each exercise to get into a routine. Take a 2 to 3-minute rest between each set.
How to do Dumbbell lunges?
This is a perfect weight training exercise for beginners because it is an easy-to-do but very challenging exercise. Here is how to do this exercise.
- Hold dumbbells in both hands and take a backward step by lowering your right leg and body into a lunge form.
- Pause for 2 to 3 seconds, return to your initial position, and repeat the same with your left leg.
- Keep your back straight while doing lunges to strengthen your core.
How to do Dumbbell bent over a row?
- Grab the dumbbells with an overhand grip with both hands shoulder-width apart. Hold the dumbbells at arm’s length and lower your body to hips and torso almost parallel to the floor. Bend your knees and keep your lower back arched naturally.
- Now squeeze your shoulders together and put dumbbells up towards your torso. Pause and then return to the initial position. Continue the same process.
How to do Kettlebell Deadlifts?
- Keep a heavy kettlebell in front of you on the floor. Stand straight with your legs shoulder-width apart.
- Do a squat and pick up the kettlebell.
- Keep your back straight and core tight, and stand tall with the kettlebell. Pause and return to the initial position.
How to do Kettlebell Goblet Squats?
- Hold a kettlebell in your hands. Stand tall with your feet wider than hip-width apart and your toes pointing slightly outward. Grip the kettlebell strongly with its horn. Move your arms towards your rib cage and hold the kettlebell under your chin.
- Your elbows should be downwards, and your arms close to your chest.
- Bow your hips and knees to lower your body as down as you can in a squat position.
- When you are in the lowest position in your squat, pause for 3 seconds and then stand back up in your initial position. Continue this exercise as per your desired reps.
Plank is considered the most effective exercise for the whole body, especially for tummy fats. Plank targets the major muscles of the body. The plank strengthens your whole body muscles, including the core, chest, arms, shoulder, hips, and back muscles.
Plank quickly burns your excess body fats and calories. Plank seems an easy and simple workout, but it is intense and exhausting. It will be challenging for a beginner to stay in the plank position for 30 seconds if you are doing it properly.
Because you feel a lot of pressure on your belly, and your whole body starts shaking after 15 to 20 seconds. But the longer you hold yourself in the plank position, the better results you will see.
Different plank exercises have different variations to target different muscle and body areas. However, every variation is helpful to tone your body and improve body balance, endurance and posture.
Push-Ups and Pull-Ups
Push-ups are the most common exercise that one can do anytime and anywhere. Push-ups are great if you are trying to lose weight because you push your body away from the ground, which needs energy, and thus you burn calories.
Push-ups mostly focus on the larger muscles in the upper part of the body. This workout mainly focuses on the back, chest, shoulders, biceps, and triceps. It will make your body physically stable and strengthen your core muscles.
A pull-up is mainly an upper-body strength exercise. But it can be very challenging to master this exercise as a beginner. You may have already tried it and thought it was harder than expected.
However, keeping misconceptions aside, a beginner can also do a pull-up without strong back and arms muscles. You need to know the trick, where and how to start, and the correct form to put in your efforts.
Once you do pull-ups, you can try different variations in the pull-ups and get great physical benefits, including a strong upper body.
Squats are great for muscle strengthening as it aims to improve lower body muscles, especially thigh muscles. Squats help burn fats and calories in your lower body areas and prevent fats from accumulating in the body’s lower part.
Squat improves body balance and mobility. As a beginner, you should try 3 sets of 12 to 15 reps each to get the best results.
Lunges are a popular strength training workout to tone and strengthen your lower body and improve athletic performance. Lunges strengthen your back, hips, and legs muscles.
Lunges build lean muscles in the body and reduce body fats. You should also include a high-intensity weight-lifting workout and lunges to get the best results.
Yoga is the name of a spiritual, physical, and mental practice that has been around for hundreds of years. Yoga provides mental and physical health benefits for people of any age. People have discovered many health benefits of yoga with time.
Health benefits of yoga
Here are many health benefits of yoga.
- Yoga may improve your flexibility.
- Yoga may protect your posture.
- Yoga may protect your spine.
- Yoga may build muscle strength.
- Yoga may prevent cartilage and joint breakdown.
- Yoga may improve your bone health.
- Yoga may regulate your adrenal glands.
- Yoga may lower blood sugar.
- Yoga may relax your system.
- Yoga may help to maintain your nervous system.
The mountain climber will be a good addition to your HIIT workout (high-intensity interval training) to burn body fat. It is a simple and easy workout that you can carry out at your home. This exercise engages your belly and promotes high-endurance training.
You must pick the proper form and move fast to engage your core. This exercise starts with a push-up position. Then you have to move your right leg toward your chest, return to the initial position, and repeat the same process with the left leg. Once you get the pace, move as faster as you can. You can start with 3 sets of 20 reps each as a beginner.
Crunches are great if you want to lose belly fat. This exercise helps strengthen the muscles, develop abs, and ton the body. The core consists of abs and oblique muscles on the sides of the trunk, lower back, pelvic, and hip muscles. These muscles help to stabilize your body.
Although crunches are great for abdominal muscles, they are not safe for everyone. Crunches can put a lot of pressure on your neck and back, so if you have back issues, do not do it.
Crunches are great for those who are trying to get six-packs because they especially focus on core muscles. Crunches do not require gym equipment so that you can do it anywhere. Crunches are great for beginners.
You must watch your movements during this exercise, as rapid movements will not properly engage the right muscles. Do crunches in a slow and controlled manner.
Burpees are not well-known, like push-ups, squats, or plank, but it is a very challenging exercise that targets major muscles in the body.
Burpee consists of two parts: a push-up with a leap in tha air.
Doing several burpees simultaneously can be exhausting, but you can add versatile exercises with some burpees.
Burpees is a great full-body exercise that builds muscle strength in your lower and upper body and increases endurance.
A burpee strengthens muscles in your hips, legs, buttocks, arms, chest, shoulders, and abdomen.
What are the benefits of Burpees?
Burpees provide the following cardio benefits to your body.
- It improves blood flow in the body.
- It decreases the risks of diabetes and heart disease.
- It helps lower your blood pressure.
- It improves cholesterol levels in the body.
- It enhances brain functioning.
- It makes your heart and lungs stronger.
- It is convenient for women to do it at home because it requires no equipment. All you need is your body weight and space to move your body.
The high knee is a very easy exercise, but doing a few sets provides high energy to pump your heart and activate lower body and core muscles. High knees serve as a warm-up exercise, cardio exercise or HIIT workout.
Before starting high knee, wear a comfortable pair of shoes. Try to do this exercise in grassy areas, especially if you are suffering from knee or ankle issues.
It all depends on you how long you can do this exercise. As a beginner, you can start this for a 30-second exercise and 30-second rest between each set.
This exercise provides many benefits as it is a great weight-bearing, full-body workout that increases your heartbeat and improves blood flow.
How to do High Knees?
- Stand straight with your feet hips-distance apart.
- Lift your left leg high as you can and raise your right arm simultaneously.
- Switch quickly to the right leg and left arm to continue the exercise.
- Continue raising your knee high as long as you desire.
What are the benefits of High Knees?
Several other benefits are described below:
- It activates your calves, glutes, hamstrings, hip flexors, and quadriceps.
- It improves muscle coordination, balance, and endurance.
- It is a great cardio exercise, and you will see an increased heartbeat within a few seconds of beginning.
- It engages core muscles and helps in improving posture.
If you are looking for exercises you can do at home, the leg raises movement is one of them. The exercise seems easy and basic, but it is great for ab tightening. Leg lifts, another name for leg raises, is a low-impact exercise.
This exercise focuses on increasing core strength, flexibility, and hip mobility. At first, you may feel leg lifts easily to get any muscle contraction. But you must do it properly if you are not getting your abs fired.
How to do leg lift exercises?
- Lie straight on the exercise mat or floor, keeping your arms by the side.
- Keep your legs straight and lower back on the ground.
- Keeping your legs straight and together, lift the legs into the air by creating an L shape with your body.
- Lower your legs slowly until you are a few inches above the ground.
- Ensure you inhale while lifting your legs and exhale as you lower your legs.
- Pause and repeat the steps.
What are the benefits of leg raises?
Leg lifts are great due to the following reasons.
- Leg lifts help strengthen and stretch the hip flexors. Hip flexors’ health is important because these are connected to and stabilize the spine and pelvis. Hip flexors help you move freely in all directions without injuries. During hip injuries, leg lifts are recommended.
- Leg lifts enhance core, back, and hip muscles, which are important for better posture. Leg lifts reduce strain and improve posture by strengthening the muscles.
- Leg lifts improve the flexibility of hips and increase the range of motion. It also decreases the risk of any injury during movements.
- Leg lifts work on your thigh abductors, and abductors move along the thighs. This way, you get a more toned and fitted look.
The shoulder press is an excellent exercise to deal with front and side deltoids, which are responsible for the shape and size of the shoulders. The shoulder press is as effective exercise as the overhead shoulder press.
The shoulder press can be performed in both ways, seated and standing. It is your choice how you can handle the weight. More people find it easy to handle weight while seated.
If you are a beginner, it is suitable for you to do this seated because a standing dumbbell shoulder press requires more coordination and balance.
The dumbbell shoulder press works on the deltoids, major and minor pectoralis, and triceps. It also works on forearms, biceps, and abs.
How to do Dumbbell Shoulder Press?
- Sit on the upright bench, hold the dumbbells in each hand, and let them rest on your thighs.
- Slowly move the dumbbells up and hold them above your shoulders.
- Keep your feet firm on the floor, and move your chest out and shoulder blades down and together.
- Hold the dumbbells firmly and move them towards the ceiling until your arms get straight.
- Lower the dumbbells to return to the initial position.
- Repeat the same process and complete your target reps.